Wednesday, February 15, 2012

How do you connect a router to a desktop and laptop computer?

I have road runner internet service a wireless G broadband router. I am trying to connect a router to my desktop so I will be able to use the internet on my laptop computer . When I look for my desktop computer on my laptop it is not showing that the desktop computer is on there. Will someone please help me through this. Thank you.

You must make sure that both computers are part of the same work group. To do this:

go to my computer
right click on white space then click on properties
Click on the “Computer Name” tab

See that thing that says “Workgroup: xxxxxx”?
you have to make sure that is the same on both computers
so if it’s not (which it sounds like it isnt)
click change then fix it, the workgroup can be anything, just make sure that it is the same on both computers
hope that helps

Also, if you’re not able to connect to the internet, your router might not be configured with your ISP details. Question, Was your router installed by a professional, or did you do it yourself?

When I got road runner I chose to keep the router I had. It’s easier to hookup.

I had exactly the same situation and it was like kagenosh said: had different names on the computers.

Connect the cablem modem LAN cable to the WAN of your router then connect another patch cable to your desktop from the router PORT 1-4 or any available open port on the router. I’m guessing you want to use laptop wirelessly with your router. Make sure your wireless card is on or functioning. Make sure your router is set up correctly either DYNAMIC connection or DSL/CABLE modem setting. All routers are different. Name your wireless router something you are familiar with so when you scan for it you’ll be able to distinguish amongst others in your area. Make sure you enable security on it.

very cheap laptops.I need to sync my data in Quickbooks between my laptop computer and my desktop computer. How can I do this so that any changes I make on my laptop will be reflected on my desktop?

10 points for best answer!!
Thanks!

It depends on where the 2 computers are located.

If your desktop is at the office and your laptop is always at home then you have to backup your QB file to a jump drive, take it home, restore it to your laptop and then backup from the laptop and restore it back at the office. This can get pretty messy though.

If your desktop always stays at the office and your laptop always travels back and forth with you to work – network the two computers and at the end of the day copy the QB file to your laptop and then the next morning copy the QB file from the laptop to the desktop.

You can also obtain a free version of a program called GoodSync and set it up to automatically sync your QB file from one machine to the other.

If you always leave the desktop machine on and connected to the internet then get a free version of LogMeIn {or other similar program) and using your laptop and an internet connection log into the desktop and work in your QB file that way.

Another option is to have your QB file hosted by an authorized QB hosting provider that way all you need on either computer is an internet connection and each machine can log into the remote host and work in the file.

There are lots of choices, you just have to pick the one that is most suitable for your needs.

Nancy

to http://neworleansshowboat.com/?p=844″>very cheap laptops

No comments:

Post a Comment