Friday, February 10, 2012

How can I connect my Desktop computer to my laptop computer?

I want to connect my old desktop computer to my laptop, so that I can access all of the file on both of the computers. Can I do this by taking the cord that connects my monitor to my desktop computer?
I’ve heard that I could take my ethernet cord and plug it into my laptop and my desktop, will that work?
I want to try to avoid wireless networking, but if that’s my only option I’d like to hear about that one too.
Thanks.

The easiest way is to by a Ethernet Router and connect an ethernet cable to each PC.
You do not have to have a conection to the internet to do this.
You should then be able to see the other machine using the “My Network Places” button.
However to see the files you need to “share” the Harddrive to the network.
You do this by “Right hand clicking” on the drive or folder you wish to share and select Sharing and Security and follow the prompts.

First off, you need to provide your operating system, and what you know about each computer (what kind of stuff it’s got in it)

Well, from what I gather you have a couple options:

One thing I have heard of (although never used) is called the Tornado. It is a special cable system that allows direct data transfer between USB ports on computers. It’s kinda pricey though. Here’s the site: http://www.thetornado.com/

The more common option would be through a network. You can either use a crossover Ethernet cable to connect them directly, or you could use 2 cables and router/switch to connect them. Depending on what you have, both options are viable.

For wireless transfer, you would need either A. A wireless router, or B. Depending on what type of network card/OS your using, you could set up a temporary, or “ad hoc” network, causing the laptop to broadcast it’s own, short-range wireless network.

All of these options are totally usable, and I have used every single one without fail (aside from the Tornado)

If you need more help, just email me at BluShift@live.ca

and toshiba portege tablet

toshiba folio 100 tablet get My back light works fine while my laptop computer is starting up but turns off before I’m fully booted up and nothing I do can get it to come back on. Everything else works fine but without my back light the screen is difficult to see in the daylight. I have a Gateway laptop about 3 years old with Vista software. Can anyone help me?

It needs to be tested by a pro like myself but id say chances are that your screen is going bad and you will need to get it replaced. Try resetting the bios to factory settings wich should be f2 or the delete key when your computer first turns on. There should be an LCD setting or Backlight setting. Id be glad to walk you through it if you want over the phone. I own a computer company. If that does not work then new screen!

No comments:

Post a Comment